Monday, March 21, 2011

Apologies

I'm hearing from my single-digit contingent of readers that there is discontent brewing over the internet due to my complete lack of updating for the past few weeks.  We moved last weekend, and with that craziness, work, and the lack of internet access, I just wasn't feeling it. 

However, I'm determined to try harder.  I'm deliriously tired at almost 1am on Sunday from a full day of work (because if I don't spend my weekends fighting for the legal rights of California's rich people WHO WILL?!?), but I thought I'd send out a quick post and challenge myself to try and post every day this week.  It's going to be crazy, people.

Since I can't muster the energy to hunt down my camera, nevermind find the USB cable, I'm sharing with you some iphone photos of a wonderful feature of our home that's been troubling me.  The great thing about actually living in a house is discovering those (mostly bad) details that you didn't see or didn't care about during the purchase process, that will now slowly start to bother you and make you want to knock on the previous owner's door screaming "WHYYYYY".  Or maybe it's just me.  Anyhow, here's what bugging me this week:


Every. Single. Interior. Doorknob. In. Our. House. Looks. Like. This.  All 6 of them.  Badly puttied (puttyed?), unpainted, crooked, and overall looking like they were installed by a team of drunken monkeys.  Here's another view:


I've been lamenting over the state of our doors and trying to think up a solution.  Do we try and salvage with some wood putty, sandpaper, and paint?  Do we just replace all the interior doors sometime in the future, along with all of our other futureprojects that may or may not actually ever happen?  Who knows.  I hope you didn't come here looking for answers, because I got nothin'.

Then, while brushing my teeth in the bathroom this morning, I spotted THIS, which I had somehow never noticed before.  A LONE SURVIVOR!


Yes, that's right, THIS is what had been replaced. 


A lovely, unique door fixture that totally fits with the original character of the house.  I'm not 100% sold on the crystal but I love the art-deco-esque shape of the metal - the outline of which you can see on all the badly puttied doors around the house.  But nevermind what I like, because they're all gone, except for this brave soldier who escaped unharmed on the side door to the bathroom.

This post is actually kind of depressing.  We have a problem with no solution and one beautiful tragic reminder of the doors that once were.  I should probably go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment