Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sleepy doozins

As it turns out, buying and preparing to move into a house is EXHAUSTING.  I keep meaning to post more, but our schedule lately has been a little crazy town.  Work until 7 or so, then slipping out early (ha) to head over to the house and pant.  It's currently 12:23 in the morning and I'm coming down off my post-work buzz (I got home at about 10:30 today), so here's a quick recap of the goings-on as of late.

We ended up closing on Friday, and got up bright and early Saturday to get to work.  We made our first of many trips to Home Depot to pick up some provisions, as well as a trip to a far flung East LA Sears because the had a $40 reciprocating saw (on sale from $110!) in stock that was a must-have on our list.

We also had a dumpster delivered on Saturday.  I ordered a 4x4x6 which seemed like so much room.  We then proceeded to fill the dumpster in about 2 hours and had to order another one.  Oopsie!  So much of this first week has been getting rid of stuff left behind.  Old scrap wood, horrible lawn furniture, palm tree debris, etc.  It's kind of cathartic to throw everything away...except for the fact that it's $155 every time we fill a dumpster.

Once we got to the house I started knocking down the garage faux wall...
...and Sean finished

We also picked up some paint samples to swatch on the walls.


After much deliberation we picked the top swatch, Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore.  We were going for a neutral that wasn't too boring.  We got the color matched at Home Depot...and it looked super different once we got it on the walls.  I think I actually like the Home Depot version better, but it's less brownish and more grey.  I don't think the iphone is the best gauge of color, but you get the idea.



We couldn't figure out what to do with the dowdy looking fireplace...


Until we figured out that all the old-fashioned brass fixtures were not bolted down.  Bye bye!


Alas, the yard continues to look more white trash by the second.


I think that's it for (almost) week one...or at least everything I took iphone photos of.  I've also been doing battle with the crown molding in the living area.  It's a horrible off white, with a brown color sponge painted on top.  Basically it just looks dirty.  I'm on my third coat of white paint and they're just starting to look crisp and white instead of looking like they haven't been cleaned since the house was built in 1937.

Don't even get my started on the number of screws and nails I've removed from the (plaster) walls and patched.  It's been traumatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment